COVID-19 Health Policy Grades K-8
- Parents must complete preliminary health checks prior to coming to school, including temperature measurement and basic verbal health screening. Parents must notify the school before 9 a.m. to advise if they are keeping the child home due to illness.
- Daily health checks, including temperature measurement and verbal health screening, will be conducted for all children and staff when they arrive to school. A person with a temperature above 100.4 F will not be allowed to stay at school.
- Children exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms below during the day will need to be picked up immediately. A staff member exhibiting these symptoms will also be asked to leave the school.
- Fever over 100.4 F
- Difficulty breathing
- Persistent cough
- Loss of taste or smell
- Frequent nasal discharge
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- While waiting to be picked up, the child will wait with a staff member in a designated area (resting room).
- If a child/staff member has a fever only, s/he will be required to stay at home until s/he is fever free without medication for 48 hours.
- If a child displays multiple COVID-19 symptoms, s/he will be required to stay at home for a minimum of seven days with at least three days that are fever free.
- If a child has a diagnosis other than COVID-19, a letter of clearance will be required from a physician.
- If a child, staff member or family member is diagnosed with COVID-19, the school will immediately notify the Health Department and follow their instructions. Such directions will include disinfection protocol, potential closure of room/facility and returning to school guidelines.
State Licensing Requirements
- New York State Department of Health requires that we send home any child/staff member who exhibits any noted signs of illness.
- Parents must notify the school at once if their child has been exposed to or has contracted COVID-19 or another contagious disease.
- If the child is absent due to a contagious disease, a note of clearance from a pediatrician will be required before the child returns to school.
- Parents/caregivers must notify their child’s teacher and the Principal of any allergy or other medical problem, such as food or insect bite allergies, by the start of the school year.
- All children must have up-to-date immunizations, as required by the Department of Health.
Morning Drop off and Afternoon Dismissal Procedures
- Everyone entering the building will need to have a health check, including temperature measurement and verbal health screening, prior to entering the school.
- Everyone entering the campus (the grounds of the school) will be required to wear a face mask while on campus. Children over the age of 3 and teachers and staff will wear face masks throughout the day unless they are eating or outside during recess. Breaks will be scheduled throughout the day.
- Class arrival and dismissal times will be staggered. Different entrance and exits will be used depending on the grade.
- Only one parent/caregiver may drop off/pick up each child.
- Sign-in sheets and hand sanitizer will be available at each entry (School, Church and Blue Room).
- Parents will be asked to keep in-person conversations to a minimum at arrival and dismissal.
- All parents must wait on campus for the child to be dismissed. Parents may not remain on the playground area after dismissal.
- Parents and children must leave the campus immediately after dismissal.
- At the time of this writing, viability for morning care and after care are still being determined.
- Air purifiers have been purchased for each of the rooms in the lower level.
- All classroom surfaces, doorknobs, floors will be cleaned throughout the day by staff in their rooms. Classroom tables will be cleaned by staff and students before and after each mealtime.
- Bathrooms will be cleaned twice during school hours and once at the end of the day.
- Playground equipment will be wiped with a disinfectant after each group ends their playground/recess time.
- Common door handles and staircase rails will be wiped with disinfectant throughout the day.
Classroom Guidelines and Protocols
- At this time and as per CDC guidelines, children over the age of 3 and teachers and staff will wear face masks throughout the day unless they are eating or outside during recess. Breaks will be scheduled throughout the day.
- Timetables and schedules will include restricted times for movement in the building.
- All lunch items will be brought to school in appropriate containers and all partially eaten food will be disposed after lunch.
- Students and staff members will wash hands with soap and water for 20 seconds multiple times throughout the day, especially after using the restroom and before/after mealtimes.
- Outdoor spaces (playground and garden) will be used on a rotational basis depending on class size.
- Each floor has a water fountain with bottle-filling capability. Staff and students will be strongly encouraged to bring in their own water bottle.
- Fire Drills and Evacuation fire drills will be conducted regularly as mandated by the state. Drills will be conducted in a manner to be able to maintain social distancing.
- We will continue to monitor information from State and Local authorities Department of Health (DOH)
- NYC Department of Education (DOE)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- We will continue to maintain communication with all of our stakeholders.
- Weekly Zoom meeting
- E-mail blasts
This document will continue to be changed as the situation develops.
R. Alovisetti, Principal